Friday 8 June 2012

5. ANIMAL ADVENTURES: Ride a horse along the beach


Some days you simply have to do what you’ve always dreamed of. For many people the idea of cantering along a beach (on a horse) is one of the most romantic notions that a human soul can possess. Having done it a few times over the years in Devon, Scotland and Pembrokeshire, I can safely say that it is a huge amount of fun, if a little scary. Especially if you have lied and said you can ride. Then they give you the good horse. Better to play it down and ask for 'Dobbin', unless you are happy enough on four hooves, in which case, go for it and ask for something a little faster.
Either way there are worse ways to spend your day than trotting along a fine beach like Lunan Bay in the picture above. All that space, sky and freedom. Marvellous. The shot is a still taken from 'One Man and His Campervan' when I nearly crashed my horse into the cameraman due to some partially out of control cantering. I chose a long shot so you can't see the fear in my eyes.
There are plenty of riding schools that will take you for a trot along the sands, even if you’re not a hugely experienced rider like me. If you get the hang of it they might even let you wind it up for a gallop. Go beauty!

RIDING SCHOOLS WHERE YOU CAN TREK ON THE BEACH
Of course I haven’t included them all. How could I? But here are a few to whet your whistle. 

No comments:

Post a Comment